Thursday, February 26, 2015

New Year, New Challenges. New Family.



Finally, right? Don't worry... haven't forgotten about you all yet! Amigos slow pace somehow is also very fast paced… its hard to sit down with all that is going on around you and reflect. But here goes nothing…

The year 2014 ended beautifully here at Amigos de Jesus with both a Christmas and New Years Celebration. The children were so happy! Thanks to everyone both in the US and here in Honduras, the children received wonderful new clothes, shoes and toys on the Epiphany! So, thank you!

Although it was difficult being away from my family during the holidays, the energy and love that was present here at Amigos made me feel as though I was a part of their family. Family is a theme that presents itself often here at the hogar. Everyone here is family. Although at times, we may get on each other’s nerves, in the end we know that we all support one another. The kids rely on one another to get through the day.

Recently, we’ve undergone dormitory change in which families are housed under the same room. Before the children were separated by age and sex. I cannot express how awesome this change was! It is beautiful to see 4 and 6 year old Cecilio and Cleo, respectively, housed under the same roof as their bigger sister Arcadia, who they look up to. Everyday I see the bigger kids, like Arcadia, helping out the smaller ones with their laundry and chores. I have no doubt that this change will cultivate stronger family units and bonding within dormitories.

The Cutest Family... Ever.  (Arcadia, Cleo and Cecilio)*  

To say that I feel like I’m a part of this family is an understatement. Everyone who passes through Amigos deems it as a “sacred ground” where Jesus is present. Many, if not all, of these children have touched my heart in one-way or another. Call it the constant poking, harassment or their foreign concept of personal space. Touch is their love language. They want to be held, hugged and known they are loved. Before I arrived here I Amigos, I hated being touched. I hated hugs. I hated high fives. Really, I just hated anything that invaded my personal bubble. Weird, right? Being here for about 6 months has changed that completely.  I can’t imagine going a day without a hug where Jessica hurls herself at me or that I’m attacked from the back at dinnertime by Erick's hug. Or even some gut wrenching hugs from Virgilio. This is their way of displaying love. Blame it on the Latin American culture, their upbringing or just their personality. Hugs are a huge part of the culture here at Amigos de Jesus. It the children's way of showing that you are a part of their family. I am very blessed to have received the opportunity to be a part of this beautiful family that just keeps growing.

Some loving hugs from Kinder (pre-school)
I’m giving you a chance to be a part of our family! There’s still time to donate to my service year at Amigos de Jesus:

1.     Donate via: http://www.amigosdejesus.org/index.php/how-to-help/make-a-donation
OR
2.     Mail a check to:

Amigos de Jesús
126 Woodland Avenue
Malvern, PA 19355

***** PLEASE make sure that you include “Kelly Carreiro” in the “purpose” portion of your donation online or write it somewhere on your check. ******

Muchas gracias a todos!

Con Amor,
Kelly 



*Photo credit to Michael Kernahan

No comments:

Post a Comment